INSTALLATION BMW Z4 (E85)
Comfort Roof Control Module for
Further information and manuals for all products can be found on our web site
w w w . m o d s 4 c a r s . c o m
|We explicitly point out that all functions of this control unit should be used only while exercising caution and responsibility. We can NOT be held liable for any damage or injury caused by installing or using this product.|
PLEASE READ THE COMPLETE MANUAL CAREFULLY BEFORE USING THIS PRODUCT.
|Important Information. READ BEFORE INSTALLING!|
|PRINTING THIS MANUAL|
This manual is designed to produce completely filled pages. In order to get best print results, simply set the borders to minimum settings in the browser's page setup menu and disable headers and footers.
Activate the print preview and if necessary decrease the zoom level until all pages are shown correctly.
ALL IMAGES CAN BE CLICKED FOR FULL SIZE in the browser.
|TROUBLE SHOOTING - NEED TO CONTACT US?|
If you run into any problems after installing the module, please go over the manual again in great detail, clicking every photo for full size!
We now have a full Knowledge Base with Support Ticket system available online at www.mods4cars.com/support
If you need to contact us, the best and fastest way to do so is by opening a support ticket there
|This module comes with our USB Field Upgrade and Configuration Port! We recommend connecting it to a computer BEFORE YOU INSTALL and using our support app "m4cconnect" to do a quick firmware update check. M4cconnect as well as all other information regarding USB update and configuration can be found at www.mods4cars.com/usb. You can even configure and activate your favorite module functions and settings on screen before the module is installed in the car! It is a good idea to permanently install the USB cable with the module in the car, leaving the computer plug in an easily accessible spot for later use with a Wifi/3G/4G connected laptop.|
IMPORTANT TROUBLESHOOTING TIPS
If the top does not work properly or at all after installing the module, these tips can be very helpful:
• 1) Turn Function 1 (Main Switch) off (Setting 0). The module will be completely passive. If the problem still persists and the top won't work, check all connections. Please also check the green DATA LED on the module!
• 2) Function 2 now has a valet mode (Setting 2) on many modules. Valet mode completely disables opening of the top. Check the setting for function 2 and make sure the module is NOT in valet mode!
IMPORTANT: Not all modules have the valet mode! Please check the Operation and Programming Manual!
FUNCTION OF THE DATA LED
The DATA LED shows the module status and helps troubleshooting issues during installation:
• When the ignition is ON: The LED should BLINK (flash) in a regular pattern (about 1x per second). This indicates that the module is receiving data and should work OK.
• When the ignition is OFF: The LED should BLINK (flash) as long as the data bus is still active and turn off after a while (max 5 min) indicating that the car has entered stand-by (sleep) mode.
• If the LED is permanently lit with the ignition ON, the module is NOT receiving data from the top controller and all connectors should be checked.
• If the LED does NOT light up at all when turning the ignition ON, the module is either not getting power or not receiving ANY data. All connectors should be checked.
|Installation - Steps 1-3|
|1. Start out by putting the top completely down and turning the ignition off. Move the driver's seat all the way up as shown.|
|2. Open both access panels behind the left (driver's) seat by carefully prying them open on the top with a plastic tool or credit card.|
|3. The white box in the corner is the top control unit. Remove the black 10mm nut (1).|
|Installation - Steps 4-6|
|4. Wiggle the unit free and pull it out through the opening. Disconnect the large black plug (1) from the control unit by pushing down hard on the lock in the middle while pulling the plug out.|
|5. Connect the plug (1) with the matching socket on the module harness, then connect the plug on the module harness with the socket (2) on the top controller. Make sure both latch securely into place.|
|6. Shown here is the plug-and-play wiring harness completely connected. Please make sure that the small square plug (1) stays connected to the white top controller, not the wiring harness socket. The socket remains unused.|
|Installation - Step 7|
|7. Put the top control unit back in place and secure it with the nut. Attach the SmartTOP module as shown with the supplied velcro sticker. Now turn the ignition on and check the green DATA LED (1) on the module. It should blink to signal a successful installation. Remember to configure the module according to our operation and programming manual.|