OPERATION AND PROGRAMMING BMW Z4 (E85)
Comfort Roof Control Module for
Further information and manuals for all products can be found on our web site
w w w . m o d s 4 c a r s . c o m
|We explicitly point out that all functions of this control unit should be used only while exercising caution and responsibility. We can NOT be held liable for any damage or injury caused by installing or using this product.|
PLEASE READ THE COMPLETE MANUAL CAREFULLY BEFORE USING THIS PRODUCT.
|Important Information. READ BEFORE USING!|
|PRINTING THIS MANUAL|
This manual is designed to produce completely filled pages. In order to get best print results, simply set the borders to minimum settings in the browser's page setup menu and disable headers and footers.
Activate the print preview and if necessary decrease the zoom level until all pages are shown correctly.
ALL IMAGES CAN BE CLICKED FOR FULL SIZE in the browser.
|TROUBLE SHOOTING - NEED TO CONTACT US?|
If you run into any problems after installing the module, please go over the manual again in great detail, clicking every photo for full size!
We now have a full Knowledge Base with Support Ticket system available online at www.mods4cars.com/support
If you need to contact us, the best and fastest way to do so is by opening a support ticket there
|This module comes with our USB Field Upgrade and Configuration Port! We recommend connecting it to a computer BEFORE YOU INSTALL and using our support app "m4cconnect" to do a quick firmware update check. M4cconnect as well as all other information regarding USB update and configuration can be found at www.mods4cars.com/usb. You can even configure and activate your favorite module functions and settings on screen before the module is installed in the car! It is a good idea to permanently install the USB cable with the module in the car, leaving the computer plug in an easily accessible spot for later use with a Wifi/3G/4G connected laptop.|
|Detailed function description (* = Factory setting)|
Function 1 - Main Switch - Workshop and Diagnostics ( 0=OFF / *1=ON )|
The module can quickly and easily be enabled and disabled using this function. It acts like a master switch. When disabled, the module becomes completely inactive and behaves as if it was not installed.
Setting 0 disables the entire module while keeping all other function settings intact. This allows turning the module off and back on without the need to reconfigure all of the other user configurable settings.
IMPORTANT: In order to avoid problems with diagnostic tools and to avoid confusion or injury by unexpected top movement, we urge you to ALWAYS DISABLE the module before taking the car to a shop or lending it to a third person! If problems with the top arise while the module is installed, ALWAYS contact Mods4Cars first at www.mods4cars.com. NEVER take the car to a dealer without getting support first!
Function 2 - One-Touch top operation ( 0=OFF / *1=ON WU / 2=ON WD / 3=EXT WU / 4=EXT WD )
This function enables one-touch console switch operation, for which the window position after top open as well as an optional extended convenience mode can be programmed.
Setting 1 is standard one-touch mode with windows up (WU) after top open. Setting 2 is standard one-touch mode with windows down (WD) after top open. Settings 3 and 4 (extended) are the same as 1 and 2, but additionally it is possible to turn off the ignition and pull the key while the top still continues.
Settings 3 and 4 require extra responsibility and caution to avoid injury by moving top parts to passengers not expecting the top to continue running after the engine is turned off!
Top operation with the console switch:
• Holding down the switch (>2 sec) in either direction will operate the top in manual mode for as long as the switch is held.
• Tap open 1x to open the top and bring the windows into the selected position (WU=Windows Up, WD=Windows Down).
• Tap open 2x to open the top and bring the windows into the opposite position this one time (Down on settings 1 and 3, Up on settings 2 and 4).
• Tap close 1x to close top and windows.
• Tap close 2x to close only the top and leave the windows open.
• Tap the console switch in any direction to interrupt an ongoing operation at any time - even if the top was started by remote!
Comfort close for all windows:
• Tap the top close switch when the top is already closed to roll all windows up.
• Tap the top open switch when the top is already open to roll all windows down (if they were up) or up (if they were down).
Function 3 - Remote Control ( 0=OFF / *1=ON WU / 2=ON WD / 3=EXT WU / 4=EXT WD )
This function allows full automatic top operation with the original remote fob by pressing the lock and unlock buttons.
Also here it is possible to determine (independently from operation via the center console switch) the position of the windows after opening the top.
Setting 1 is standard remote mode with windows up (WU) after top open. Setting 2 is standard remote mode with windows down (WD) after top open. Settings 3 and 4 (extended) are the same as 1 and 2, only that it is possible to turn the ignition on and start the engine while the top still continues. Additionally getting out of the car and locking the doors by remote will not interrupt an ongoing top operation.
Settings 3 and 4 require extra responsibility and caution to avoid injury by moving top parts, as locking the (previously unlocked) doors with the remote will not stop the top!
Top operation with the remote fob:
• Tap open button 2x (1 sec interval): All windows roll down.
• Hold open down for about 2 sec.: All windows roll down (alternate method).
• Tap open button 3x (1 sec interval): Open the top and bring the windows into the selected position (WU=Windows Up, WD=Windows Down)
• Tap open button 4x (1 sec interval): Open the top and bring the windows into the opposite position this one time (Down on settings 1 and 3, Up on settings 2 and 4).
• Tap close button 2x (1 sec interval): All windows roll up.
• Hold close down for about 2 sec.: All windows roll up (alternate method).
• Tap open button 3x (1 sec interval) with top fully open: Top and windows close automatically.
• Tap open button 4x (1 sec interval) with top fully open: Close only the top. Windows stay open.
• Tap the open button at any time to stop an ongoing operation!
Function 4 - Maximum allowed speed for roof operation ( *0=0kmh / 1=10kmh / 2=20kmh / 3=30kmh / 4=40kmh )
Setting the max allowed speed for top operation in steps of 10km/h (~7mph). Setting 0 only allows roof operation while halted.
WARNING: Once the top is started within the programmed speed limit, it will continue running, even if the speed later exceeds the limit during the top operation!
Function 5 - Hazard signal during remote top operation ( *0=OFF / 1=ON )
When this function is enabled, the hazard lights will flash during remote top operation (for extra safety and visibility).
Function 6 - Alternate Remote Operation ( *0=OFF / 1=ON )
This function only works for the MINI and should stay disabled.
|This module is equipped with our interactive setup feature with clear text output to allow easy setting of the desired options or temporarily disabling the entire module.|
Input and output elements used:
• (1) Top close button: advance to the next function number. After selecting the last function, jump back to function 1.
• (2) Top open button: increase current function setting. After selecting the highest setting, jump back to setting 0 (off).
• (3) Radio LCD: Show clear text output of current function and setting. Radio must be OFF.
• (4) Left arrow: Output function number as blink sequence.
• (5) Right arrow: Output current setting number as blink sequence.
To activate setup:|
Turn the ignition to the ACC (accessory) position. Hold down both top open and close buttons simultaneously until both blinkers light up or continue to hold to see SmartTOP version information scrolled through the radio display. Let go to enter actual configuration mode. This module uses blinker and text output in parallel. If no factory radio is present, use the blinkers, otherwise ignore the blinkers and read the text output.
The radio display scrolls the current function and setting information in clear text back and forth through the display.
The left arrow shows the selected function number by blinking the corresponding number of times, then after a brief pause the right arrow shows the current function's setting by blinking that setting's number of times. Use the function/setting matrix at the end of the manual to see the function and setting numbers.
Selecting functions and changing settings:
Tap the close button to cycle through the function numbers. To change the setting of the currently selected function, tap the open button to cycle through the settings. Each time either a new function is selected or a function's setting is changed, the arrows will indicate the new status by first blinking the function (left arrow) and then the current setting (right arrow).
To end setup:
To end programming mode, either wait for 30 sec., tap both top buttons simultaneously or turn the ignition off. End of programming mode is indicated by both arrows lighting up for about 1 second.
|Function/Setting Matrix (*green fields are defaults)|
|Product: STLFBW7 - SmartTOP for BMW Z4 Roadster (E85) and Mini (R52)|
|SETTING 0||SETTING 1||SETTING 2||SETTING 3||SETTING 4|
|Main Switch||Module Disabled||Module Enabled|
|FUNCTION 2||OFF||*ON WU||ON WD||EXT WU||EXT WD|
|Conv. Top One-Touch||Don't change center console switch behavior||Enabled + windows up after top open||Same as 1 but windows down after top open||Allow ignition off during top operation||Same as 3 but windows down after top open|
|FUNCTION 3||OFF||*ON WU||ON WD||EXT WU||EXT WD|
|Remote Control||No remote functions||Enabled + windows up after top open||Same as 1 but windows down after top open||Allow ignition on during top operation||Same as 3 but windows down after top open|
|FUNCTION 4||*0 km/h||10 km/h||20 km/h||30 km/h||40 km/h|
|Maximum Speed||Only while halted||10 km/h (~7mph)||20 km/h (~13mph)||30 km/h (~19mph)||40 km/h (~25mph)|
|Disabled||Flash hazards during remote operations|
|Use TRUNK button sequence||Use LOCK-UNLOCK sequence|