INSTALLATION BMW 1 Series E88 Convertible
Comfort Roof Control Module for
Further information and manuals for all products can be found on our web site
w w w . m o d s 4 c a r s . c o m
|We explicitly point out that all functions of this control unit should be used only while exercising caution and responsibility. We can NOT be held liable for any damage or injury caused by installing or using this product.|
PLEASE READ THE COMPLETE MANUAL CAREFULLY BEFORE USING THIS PRODUCT.
|Important Information. READ BEFORE INSTALLING!|
|PRINTING THIS MANUAL|
This manual is designed to produce completely filled pages. In order to get best print results, simply set the borders to minimum settings in the browser's page setup menu and disable headers and footers.
Activate the print preview and if necessary decrease the zoom level until all pages are shown correctly.
ALL IMAGES CAN BE CLICKED FOR FULL SIZE in the browser.
|TROUBLE SHOOTING - NEED TO CONTACT US?|
If you run into any problems after installing the module, please go over the manual again in great detail, clicking every photo for full size!
We now have a full Knowledge Base with Support Ticket system available online at www.mods4cars.com/support
If you need to contact us, the best and fastest way to do so is by opening a support ticket there
|This module comes with our USB Field Upgrade and Configuration Port! We recommend connecting it to a computer BEFORE YOU INSTALL and using our support app "m4cconnect" to do a quick firmware update check. M4cconnect as well as all other information regarding USB update and configuration can be found at www.mods4cars.com/usb. You can even configure and activate your favorite module functions and settings on screen before the module is installed in the car! It is a good idea to permanently install the USB cable with the module in the car, leaving the computer plug in an easily accessible spot for later use with a Wifi/3G/4G connected laptop.|
IMPORTANT TROUBLESHOOTING TIPS
If the top does not work properly or at all after installing the module, these tips can be very helpful:
• 1) Turn Function 1 (Main Switch) off (Setting 0). The module will be completely passive. If the problem still persists and the top won't work, check all connections. Please also check the green DATA LED on the module!
• 2) Function 2 now has a valet mode (Setting 2) on many modules. Valet mode completely disables opening of the top. Check the setting for function 2 and make sure the module is NOT in valet mode!
IMPORTANT: Not all modules have the valet mode! Please check the Operation and Programming Manual!
FUNCTION OF THE DATA LED
The DATA LED shows the module status and helps troubleshooting issues during installation:
• When the ignition is ON: The LED should BLINK (flash) in a regular pattern (about 1x per second). This indicates that the module is receiving data and should work OK.
• When the ignition is OFF: The LED should BLINK (flash) as long as the data bus is still active and turn off after a while (max 5 min) indicating that the car has entered stand-by (sleep) mode.
• If the LED is permanently lit with the ignition ON, the module is NOT receiving data from the top controller and all connectors should be checked.
• If the LED does NOT light up at all when turning the ignition ON, the module is either not getting power or not receiving ANY data. All connectors should be checked.
|Installation - Steps 1-3|
|1. IMPORTANT: Turn off ignition and pull key before installing! Remove both rear head rests (1) by pushing the tab on the right of the plastic bracket in while pulling up on the headreast. Remove the bench seat by pulling up on the front. It is snapped in place. Then remove the two nuts (12mm) on the bottom of the back rest (2).|
|2. To remove the nuts use a ratchet like shown.|
|3. Remove head rest brackets by inserting a flat screw driver into the hole as shown (left and right) and unlatching the plastic latches (two in each hole). While unlatching them, apply constant upward pressure to the bracket until the bracket slides out by a notable amount. Pull upward on the left and right outer corners in turn.|
|Installation - Steps 4-6|
|4. Once the bracket is about 1 inch out, it will get stuck. This is normal. From here on, apply some decent force evenly between left and right side and pull it out. In this picture you can see the latching mechanism.|
|5. Remove the backrest by pulling forward on the bottom and then up. This reveals the top controller in the left corner (white box sitting in a slot with several plugs connected to it). Remove the long black plug in the middle by first pushing the locking tab (1) in and then moving the lever in the direction of the arrow.|
|6. Install the supplied wiring harness by first plugging the corresponding plug into the socket on the top controller. Make sure the latch lever locks it into place. Connect the original plug to the socket on the wiring harness and also make sure the lever locks into place.|
|Installation - Step 7|
|7. Connect the SmartTOP module to the plug on the harness. The green LED on the module should light up briefly (module starts up) and after a quick tap on the unlock button on the remote, should blink in a regular pattern (data bus activity). We recommend leaving the USB cord connected to the module and accessible (behind back rest or under back seat) for later firmware updates or easy module configuration with a laptop.|