|OPERATION AND PROGRAMMING|
Comfort Roof Control Module designed for
• BMW 4 Series/M4 Convertible (F33/F83)
Firmware v2.10 and up
Further information and manuals for all products can be found on our web site
w w w . m o d s 4 c a r s . c o m
|PLEASE READ THE COMPLETE MANUAL CAREFULLY BEFORE USING THIS PRODUCT.|
We explicitly point out that all functions of this control unit should be used only while exercising caution and responsibility. We can NOT be held liable for any damage or injury caused by installing or using this product. Operation must be supervised and paid attention to in order to ensure that there are no objects or persons in range of moving parts due to the fact that top mechanics do not have pinch protection. Please study and be aware of the procedures to interrupt an ongoing operation in an emergency.
|Important Information. READ BEFORE USING!|
|PRINTING THIS MANUAL|
This manual is designed to produce completely filled pages. In order to get best print results, simply set the borders to minimum settings in the browser's page setup menu and disable headers and footers.
Activate the print preview and if necessary decrease the zoom level until all pages are shown correctly.
ALL IMAGES CAN BE CLICKED FOR FULL SIZE in the browser.
|TROUBLE SHOOTING - NEED TO CONTACT US?|
If you run into any problems after installing the module, please go over the manual again in great detail, clicking every photo for full size!
We now have a full Knowledge Base with Support Ticket system available online at www.mods4cars.com/support
If you need to contact us, the best and fastest way to do so is by opening a support ticket there
|This module comes with our USB Field Upgrade and Configuration Port! We recommend connecting it to a computer BEFORE YOU INSTALL and using our support app "m4cconnect" to do a quick firmware update check. M4cconnect as well as all other information regarding USB update and configuration can be found at www.mods4cars.com/usb. You can even configure and activate your favorite module functions and settings on screen before the module is installed in the car! It is a good idea to permanently install the USB cable with the module in the car, leaving the computer plug in an easily accessible spot for later use with a Wifi/3G/4G connected laptop.|
|Detailed function description (Factory setting underlined)|
|Function 1 - MODULE MODE + MASTER SWITCH ( 0=OFF / 1=ON / 2=EXT / 3=EXP )|
The module can quickly and easily be enabled and disabled using this function. It acts like a master switch. When disabled, the module becomes completely inactive and behaves as if it was not installed while keeping all other function settings intact for when it is re-enabled later.
• Setting 1 is the regular operation mode with emphasis on safety. Turning the ignition on or off as well as hitting any button on the remote at any time during remote operation immediately stops an ongoing top operation.
• Setting 2 is the extended operation mode with emphasis on convenience. Starting or stopping the engine will not stop a top operation and it is possible to lock or unlock the doors one time from the remote while the top is moving.
• Setting 3 is the operation mode designed for responsible experts. It allows the doors to be locked and unlocked more than once. This can come in handy if after getting out and locking the doors something was forgotten in the car and needs to be retrieved while the top is still running.
Settings 2 and 3 require extra responsibility and caution to avoid injury by moving top parts to passengers not expecting the top to continue running after the engine is turned off and due to the fact that the first key press on the remote to lock or unlock the doors (or continued toggling of the door locks) will not stop the top! To abort the operation, press unlock while the doors are unlocked or lock while they are locked.
EXTREMELY IMPORTANT: In order to avoid problems with diagnostic tools and to avoid confusion or risk of injury by unexpected top movement, we urge you to ALWAYS DISABLE the module before taking the car in for routine maintenance or lending it to a third person! In case of any top malfunction NEVER take the car with the module still installed to an unsuspecting dealer! In such cases ALWAYS contact Mods4Cars for support first at www.mods4cars.com or completely uninstall the module before a dealer visit.
|Function 2 - Console Switch One-Touch ( 0=OFF / 1=ON / 2=VALET )|
This function allows full automatic top operation using the console switch.
• Setting 1 enables One-Touch operation and comfort close for all windows.
• Setting 2 disables opening of the top (Valet Mode), even from the remote!
IMPORTANT: Setting 2 disables top operation completely! If the top unexpectedly does not work, check and make sure VALET mode is not turned on.
Top operation with the console switch:
• Holding down the switch (longer than 1 sec) in either direction will operate the top in manual mode for as long as the switch is held.
• Tap open 1x: Open the top and bring the windows into the programmed position.
• Tap open 2x: Open the top and bring the windows into the opposite position this one time.
• Tap close 1x: Close top and windows.
• Tap close 2x: Close only the top and leave the windows open.
Comfort close for all windows:
• Tap the top close switch while the top is already closed to roll all windows up.
To interrupt an ongoing operation: Tap the console switch in any direction at any time - even if the top was started by remote!
|Function 3 - Console Switch Invert ( 0=OFF / 1=ON )|
This function allows reversing the direction of the console switch.
• Setting 1 activates reversed direction operation.
|Function 4 - Maximum Speed ( 0=0 km/h / 1=10 km/h / 2=20 km/h / 3=30 km/h / 4=40 km/h )|
This function determines the desired speed limit for top operation via console switch.
• Setting 0 only allows roof operation while halted.
• Setting 1 and up increase the speed for top operation in steps of 10km/h (~7mph).
We recommend to keep the speed as low as possible and only operate the top on even and smooth street surfaces!
Once the top is started within the programmed speed limit, it will continue running, even if the speed later exceeds the limit during the top operation!
|Function 5 - Remote Top ( 0=OFF / 1=HOLD / 2=TAP / 3=BOTH )|
This function allows full automatic top operation with the original remote fob by pressing the lock and unlock buttons.
• Setting 1 (Hold) allows opening and closing of the top by holding down the unlock and lock buttons on the remote.
• Setting 2 (Tap) allows opening and closing of the top by tapping the unlock and lock buttons on the remote multiple times.
• Setting 3 (Both) allows both of the methods to be used.
Top operation with the remote fob using HOLD:
• Hold unlock down for about 4 sec: Open the top and bring the windows into the programmed position.
• Hold unlock down for about 4 sec, let go and tap open again briefly: Open the top and bring the windows into the opposite position.
• Hold lock down for about 4 sec: Close top and windows.
• Hold lock down for about 4 sec, let go and tap close again briefly: Close only the top while leaving the windows down.
Top operation with the remote fob using TAPS:
• Tap unlock 3x in 1 sec intervals: Open the top and bring the windows into the programmed position.
• Tap unlock 4x in 1 sec intervals: Open the top and bring the windows into the opposite position this one time.
• Tap lock 3x in 1 sec intervals: Close top and windows.
• Tap lock 4x in 1 sec intervals: Close only the top while leaving the windows down.
To interrupt an ongoing operation: Tap unlock or lock again. IMPORTANT: Keep in mind that Extended and Expert modes allow one time change (or multiple changes) of the door locks! In such case a second key press on the same button will be necessary to stop the top.
|Function 6 - Remote Windows ( 0=OFF / 1=HOLD / 2=TAP / 3=BOTH )|
This function allows separate control of the windows with the original remote fob by pressing the lock and unlock buttons.
• Setting 1 (Hold) allows opening and closing of the windows by holding down the unlock and lock buttons on the remote.
• Setting 2 (Tap) allows opening and closing of the windows by tapping the unlock and lock buttons on the remote multiple times.
• Setting 3 (Both) allows both of the methods to be used.
Window operation with the remote fob using HOLD:
• Hold unlock down for about 2 sec: Open all windows.
• Hold lock down for about 2 sec: Close all windows.
Window operation with the remote fob using TAPS:
• Tap unlock 2x in 1 sec intervals: Open all windows.
• Tap lock 2x in 1 sec intervals: Close all windows.
|Function 7 - Keyless Top ( 0=OFF / 1=CLOSE ONLY / 2=OPEN/CLOSE )|
This function allows to close and open the convertible top by touching the door handle (requires Keyless Entry option!)
• Setting 1 only allows closing the top.
• Setting 2 allows closing and opening.
Top operation with the Keyless Entry door handle:
• Hold hand inside door handle 3x in 1 sec intervals: Open the top and bring the windows into the programmed position.
• Hold hand inside door handle 4x in 1 sec intervals: Open the top and bring the windows into the opposite position this one time.
• Tap thumb on lock sensor 3x in 1 sec intervals: Close top and windows.
• Tap thumb on lock sensor 4x in 1 sec intervals: Close only the top while leaving the windows down.
• To get in the car without interrupting the opening top, grab the door handle and open the door quickly.
• Make sure to leave about 1 second between taps and that there is a clicking sound after each tap. Otherwise the input was not recognized.
To stop a closing operation, tap the lock sensor. To stop an opening operation, hold hand inside handle without opening the door. For the extended modes the rules here are the same as for the remote.
|Function 8 - Window positions after opening top ( 0=NONE / 1=FRONT / 2=ALL )|
This function determines the position of the windows after an automatic top opening run.
• Setting 0 leaves all windows down.
• Setting 1 raises the front windows only.
• Setting 2 raises all windows.
|Function 9 - Window switch One-Touch ( 0=OFF / 1=ON / 2=NO IGNITION )|
This function allows to program the big all-windows switch in the driver's door to raise all windows using One-Touch. By factory this switch only offers One-Touch down.
• Setting 1 allows One-Touch closing of all windows with the ignition on.
• Setting 2 additionally allows closing all windows with the switch after the ignition has been turned off and the driver's door has been opened.
To close all windows at the same time, pull this switch up briefly and let go. To interrupt an operation, tap the switch again in any direction.
This module offers several different functions, each with several settings. All functions and settings are described in detail above and a quick reference table (matrix) can be found at the end of this manual. We recommend printing the matrix and storing it in the glove box!|
To activate the programming mode, turn the ignition fully ON (no need to start the engine), then hold down the console door lock button (1) until both blinker arrows in the cluster (3) light up. Now let go of the button.
The module shows the current function via the speed needle (10 km/h means function 1, 20 km/h means function 2 etc) and that function's setting via the RPM needle. As an example 40 km/h and 3 (x1000) RPM: Function 4 is currently set to setting 3.
To select the function, tap the top switch (2) briefly, to change the setting, hold the switch for about 1 sec. A brief pull (up) advances to the next function, a brief tap (down) returns to the last one. After reading the current function and setting via the needles, a longer pull (1 sec) increases the setting while a longer push (down) decreases it.
Alternatively it is possible to hold the door lock button (1) down longer when entering the setup and let go after the blinkers flash a second time. In this mode the current function and setting are also shown via blink sequences of the left (function) and right (setting) arrows.
To end programming mode, either turn the ignition off or tap the door unlock switch (1) again. Both arrows light up. Programming mode also terminates automatically after 60 sec. of inactivity.
• Shortcut to toggle Main Switch: With the ignition on as above, hold and keep the door unlock switch (1) pressed (ignoring the first and second blinker signals) for a full 10 seconds, until the left arrow blinks once by itself. The right arrow will then indicate the Function 1 (Main Switch) setting (no blinks=OFF, 1x=ON, 2x=EXT, 3x=EXP).
• Shortcut to toggle Valet Mode: With the ignition on as above and the top closed, tap the top-close switch quickly 10 times in a row, until the left arrow blinks twice by itself. The right arrow will then indicate the Function 2 (One Touch) setting (no blinks=OFF, 1x=ON, 2x=VALET).
|Function/Setting Matrix (green fields are defaults)|
|Product: STHFBW2 - SmartTOP for BMW 4 Series Convertible (F33)|
Firmware: v2.10 and up
|SETTING 0||SETTING 1||SETTING 2||SETTING 3||SETTING 4|
|MODULE MODE +|
|Module Disabled||Module Enabled||Extended Mode|
|Factory behavior||One-Touch operation||Valet Mode|
|Factory Behavior||Switch inverted|
|Function 4||0 km/h||10 km/h||20 km/h||30 km/h||40 km/h|
|Maximum Speed||Only while halted||10 km/h (~7mph)||20 km/h (~13mph)||30 km/h (~19mph)||40 km/h (~25mph)|
|Remote Top||No remote functions||Hold remote for 3 sec.||Tap remote 3x||Hold and Tap enabled|
|Remote Windows||No remote functions||Hold remote for 2 sec.||Tap remote 2x||Hold and Tap enabled|
|Function 7||OFF||CLOSE ONLY||OPEN/CLOSE|
|Keyless Top||Factory behavior||Top can be closed||Top can be opened and closed|
after opening top
|All windows down||Front windows up||All windows up|
|Function 9||OFF||ON||NO IGNITION|
|Factory behavior||One-Touch operation||Ignition off allowed|